Granola

Oh yes, I've gone all Felicity Kendal and resorted to making my own breakfast cereals. (Kate, before long I will be weaving beards out of yogurt and making pot holders from tofu.) Well, you see granola is a kind of honeyed toasted muesli, which tastes a bit like a cross between Crunchy Nut Cornflakes and those sesame snaps you can buy. This is another recipe that I have half inched from Nigella, and changed a bit. I know making your own cereal might seem a bit mental and self flagellating but it is worth it, I promise.

Ingredients
225g poridge oats
50g sunflower seeds
50g sesame seeds
100g apple sauce
1tsp ground cinnamon
60g golden syrup
2tbsp runny honey
50 light muscavado sugar
120g shelled pecans
half tsp salt
1tbsp vegetable or sunflower
150g raisins (optional)

Preheat your oven to 170°C. In a large mixing bowl combine everything except the raisins. It will look like there isn't enough coating for everything but it will, it just takes a little patience.
Tip this out on to a large baking tray and spread out so there is a even layer all over. After 30 minutes, give everything a turn (imagine you are turning over a flower bed, that's the effect you want) and redistribute evenly again, then put back in the oven for a further 20-30 minutes, until everything is evenly toasted to a golden brown.
Once this is cooled completely, store in an airtight jar with or without raisins. I tend to have it without, and add a handful if I fancy them. Better that than deciding I don't want them and having to pick them out, life is too short for such things. Of course you could add any dried friut you like: apple, papaya, mango, pear, pineapple, cranberries, blueberries, banana chips, figs.....(How I ever get out of Holland and Barrett without bankrupting myself is a minor miracle.)
If I think about it you could also replace the oats with rye flakes or barley flakes or do an exciting freestyle mix. And the seeds could be changed to pumpkin and linseed, or even all four, though I would stick to the 100g of seeds.
And finally you could replace the honey with maple syrup, which would go beautifully with the pecans. Basically this is a guide more than a recipe and you can get a bit creative.
This can be eaten as a cereal with milk, sprinkled over natural yogurt with a drizzle of honey or a dollop of stewed fruit. Or it can be eaten squirrel like, as a tasty nibbly snack.

No comments: