Guinea Pigs and Toads

It's been a bit of a roller coaster week for us here. Sadly, last week my guinea pig went to the big hutch in the sky. He was six years old which is about as ancient as I've ever heard a guinea getting to and Husband and I miss him very much.


But on a cheerier note, today is my birthday. I have been treated to coffee and cake (a rather disappointing orange and cranberry muffin. Mine are nicer...) and I've spent my birthday money on books about physics. I've become slightly obsessed with the concepts of quantum mechanics and string theory and consequently I am turning more and more nerd like everyday. If I ever start talking about Dungeons and Dragons, you have my permission to perform and intervention!

I was asked by my friend Nick for some new recipes and it was a toss up between baklava muffins and toad in the hole. The baklava muffin recipe was for my demanding sister and frankly Nick asked more politely so he gets first dibs! Here is a picture of Nick (I'm so sorry, you're going to kill me now!), he's the young man wearing a Liverpool shirt and a scowl. This was taken on a school field trip to Normandy when we were 12. You can see everyone teetering on the brink of teenage attitude. I am however grinning like a fool at the front in a frankly awful t-shirt and a nice cagoule.

Anyway, here you go:

Toad in the Hole

This recipe is based on ratios so there aren't any measurements for the flour and milk, it all depends on the volume of your eggs. This means you don't need scales, just a measuring jug. I'm almost tempted to write and equation....

2 large eggs
semi skimmed milk
plain flour
sausages
tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil

Ovenproof dish
Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6

Break the eggs into a measuring jug and note the volume, then add an equal volume of milk. Whisk them together and then pour into a bowl. Wash and thoroughly dry the jug, then use to measure out the same amount of flour. You need to make sure to shake the jug a bit to level the flour out. Now sift this on to the milk and egg mixture, beat until smooth then set aside.

Put the oil into your oven proof dish then add your sausages. You don't want a huge dish, but one in which the sausages are quite snug. Once the oven is to temperature, put the sausages in for 10 minutes. This starts the sausages cooking (about which I am perpetually paranoid) and heats the oil for the batter. One the 10 minutes is up, open the oven and pour the batter over the sausages, close the door and don't look at them for at least 30 minutes. If you must look only do so if you have a window in your oven door. Opening the door (well actually to be correct it's the subsequent closing) knocks the air out of the batter and you're left with something really depressing.

Once it is cooked and monstrously risen and delicious looking serve any way you wish. Husband likes too much gravy and mange tout.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

We was robbed!
For the love of Mike where are the baklava muffins?
Although a wee drop of toad in the hole isn't such a bad idea.

Catherine said...

OK then. Here goes.
Please can we have a baklava muffin recipe?
Please?