Magical Window Sill

Some time ago I was browsing the ever wonderful Purl Bee blog when I saw this and thought it was the loveliest idea. My sister, who has two very wordy daughters, has a white board covered with the most brilliant and hilarious quotes from both of them. You sometimes have no idea what the thought process can have been, but that's half the fun. Then, last night, at some ridiculous time I asked a very sleepy husband to pass me a pillow that had gone walkabout whilst we were sleeping. When I asked where it was, he replied 'Between two values.' He was still asleep and dreaming about work. This of course set me off into a fit of giggles.




So this is the first thing that has gone into our own Jar of Magical Thinking, which takes pride of place on my kitchen window sill along with a Cath Kidston mug full of paintbrushes and a card that my friend sent me. I read that quote* everyday and love it more and more. The mug itself has a small fissure running through it and can't be safely used for tea but I cannot bare to get rid of it and I rather like it like this.


And of course, this whole process involved the buying of a jar (always a joy) and then making a label (more joy). In fact I was going to use this jar for one of two things; notes or oats, after my argument with a box of Quaker Oats this morning. It's not 'easy open' when it vomits oats all over your feet as you try and wrestle with the 'easy open' tab.
The deciding factor about what would go in the jar was entirely random or should I say, esoteric; the label for the notes would be more fun to make. Therefore I got to play with one of my new favourite things: Sharpie marker pens. I hope I'm not alone in the world in having irrational preferences for certain pens in the pen pot. Even when I have to write a quick note or a shopping list I always spend more time that I should selecting a nice pen. And it has nothing to do with price or quality. Maybe I'll sit down one day and write down exactly what it is I like in a pen. Maybe on that day I'll realise I have too much time on my hands.

*It's not too clear in the photo what the quote is:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

William Blake (1757-1827)
English engraver, illustrator and poet


1 comment:

Catherine said...

Ha ha, I just hooted out loud. That's hilarious! I've selected our jar too, so we're ready to go. What was Andy dreaming about, that's so funny...